This is my favorite recipe for pancakes. I made it a dozen times in the last few months and they inevitable turn out delicious.
These recipe is gluten-free, but not vegan. And I’m not sure how I would adopt it. Also be warned, your kids are probably not gonna love you anymore after you betray their trust by serving them these on a beautiful Sunday morning.
Please note that all the ratios in this recipe are by weight.
Buckwheat pancakes are best enjoyed with honey and hot tea.
Ingredients, by weight
- 1 part: egg
- 2 parts: milk
- 2 parts: organic buckwheat flour
- ½ parts: olive oil
- to taste: salt, sugar, cinnamon
- Separate egg whites from yokes.
- Mix yokes with flour, milk, olive oil, salt, sugar and cinnamon—don’t overdo it. At this point you should get a pretty thick batter—don’t worry about it.
- Beat the egg whites until you get nice stiff peaks—this is a key step, mess it up and you might as well just toss the whole thing in the garbage.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Make sure you do not to lose too many air bubbles, they are what is going to make your pancakes fluffy and light.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter on a lightly oiled pan and cook until ready on medium-high heat.
If you start with an average egg (50g or so), and proportion everything else in relation to that, you should end up with 4 pancakes.