I made this recipe a number of times and the results are always excellent!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup crushed dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup fresh cherries
- Place the crushed chocolate (tiny solid chunks taste better than shaved flakes which tend to soften or even dissolve) and the pitted and halved cherries (you can use canned cherries, but make sure to drain and dry them first) in separate bowls and refrigerate for a few hours.
- Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and stir until almost ready.
- About 5 minutes before the ice cream is ready, add the chocolate and the cherries, then continue stirring until the ice cream becomes stiff.
- Transfer into a storage container and place in the freezer for a few hours.
This recipe make just over 1 quart of delicious ice cream depending on the size of the eggs and the amount of chocolate and cherries. I always get too greedy with the fillings, but can you blame me?